Care for your little one’s skin when the UV is strong
By the Maternity Nurse Association
When the weather starts to get hotter, you should be more aware of the strength of the sun’s rays and try to protect your baby’s delicate skin. This is especially true if you are going on holiday somewhere hot and sunny. Ensure that you travel with all you need to protect your baby’s skin, as you may not be able to find suitable products in the destination to which you are traveling.
Here are out top tips for baby skin protection
- Ensure that you keep babies under six months completely out of the sun.
- Be extra cautious between 11am and 3pm when the sun is at its strongest. This is the perfect time for a nap inside, for you as well as your little one.
- Chose sun protection creams that are higher than Factor 15. We recommend Organic Children’s Factor 30 by Green People, as it has no artificial perfume and is great for sensitive skin.
- Don’t be tempted to cover your baby’s pram with a towel or cloth, as it has been proven that it can be 15 degrees hotter when the pram is covered. This raises the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). You can use a specially designed cove like the SnoozeShade, which keeps the pram cool and protects against UV light as well as maintaining darkness inside the pram – great for keeping to your baby’s sleep routine.
- Make sure that you cover your children in sun protection which is effective against both UVA and UVB rays (check the label) and reapply it frequently throughout the day. Don’t forget to ensure they have protection on cloudy days too, especially near the sea.
- Get your little one to wear a hat; we like the wide-brimmed or legionnaire style hats.
- Reapply sun protection after swimming.
- Ensure your child keeps hydrated throughout the day. Offer plain water (boiled and cooled if your baby is under one year) between feeds in hot weather, although your baby should get all the fluids needed if breastfed.
Our favourite sunscreens for babies
Mustela Sun Lotion
Green People Organic Children Sun Lotion
Naïf protecting sunscreen
Our favourite safer sun items for babies
Littlelife baby shelter tent