What will you need for your baby’s layette?
Here’s our checklist of the essentials you’ll need. Dress your baby in simple items when they’re tiny and you’re getting used to dressing such a tiny, wriggly person and then buy more items as you get used to it. There are some fantastic clothes for babies out there, so look for separates and outfits to add to your little one’s wardrobe.
- Nappies – disposable or washable, with liners
- 4-6 vests or bodysuits. The ones that do up with poppers under the nappy are great. Look for envelope necks for tiny babies. Best to get some short and some long sleeved
- 4-6 babygrows or sleepsuits. Those with poppers down the front and one leg make changes easier
- 4-6 pairs of socks or tights
- 2 pairs of scratch mits
- A shawl
- A couple of soft cotton jersey hats
Don’t buy too many of the newborn or 0-3 months size clothes and keep all new items in their packets with the receipts handy. Then, if your baby is larger or smaller than expected, you can change them. Ask for gift receipts from friends who want to buy clothes.
For Night Time
1-2 sleepsuits or pyjamas. Make sure they have easy access for nappy changes during the night or 2 Baby Sleeping Bags which are much easier to use than sheets and blankets. All your baby needs under this is a nappy and a long sleeve t-shirt or vest.
- 3-6 pairs of trousers, joggers, jeans or tights – look for elasticated waists and feet attached to the legs so socks don’t get lost.
- 3-6 tops in cotton, jersey or other soft fabrics.
- 2-4 sets of rompers or tops and trousers, dungarees or similar
- 2-3 jumpers or cardigans for cool days
- 2-3 warm socks or bootees. Don’t put hard=soled shoes on a small baby’s feet as their bones are not fully developed.
- 6-8 bibs. Elasticated neck styles and bandanas are great.
- A warm coat or all-in-one snowsuit if it’s Winter. A light coat or hooded top for warmer months.
- 1-2 hats suitable for the season. Never allow your baby to sleep in his cot at night in a hat.
- A pram blanket or cosytoes
- 1-2 gloves – look for those with tapes to attach to the sleeves as they get lost easily!
- 1-2 warm bootees or soft shoes